Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

June 5, 2010

Summer Reading


Summer vacation looms, just days away. Promises of living out of suitcases, staying with relatives, and long hours with nothing scheduled beckon. Those long hours yearn to be filled with summer reading. Here's what I have on my reading list so far:

The Twilight series: Not my usual cup of tea, but moving back into sixth grade English Language Arts means being ready for conversations around young adult literature. These four books will be the first ones I post on my trial of Shelfari, an online reading log/blog. From there I will be reading as many young adult books as I can, based on recommendations from my 12-year-old daughter, my librarian husband, and lots of online lists supplied by NCTE's Inbox Blog. I've lost momentum these past two years being out of the classroom!


Time for Meaning: Randy Bomer's book on teaching secondary English through the genre-study approach is one to re-read before returning to the classroom. His no-nonsense take on teaching the enormous Language Arts curriculum in unreasonably short Middle and High School classes is just what I need. Our Middle School is implementing a new genre-study workshop approach in our ELA classes, and I need to have Randy's words in my ears as I lead the department through this change.


Teaching Grammar in Context: Probably my biggest weakness as an ELA teacher is teaching grammar and conventions in an effective and meaningful way. Part of my discomfort is that I was not taught these things well, so I have a weak knowledge base and no good role models. Constance Weaver's book gives practical suggestions for how to teach the structure and rules of the English language within the context of reading and writing workshop. This is another re-read for me, but is still the text that is referenced by the professional authors I trust.


Fair isn't Always Equal: Rick Wormeli presents a compelling case for differentiating instruction and assessment based on formative data. I "get" it (intellectually), but I also don't "get" it (practically), and sitting down for another think about his suggestions in the context of sixth grade ELA and Social Studies will prepare me for the mix of kids that walk through my door in August.


Beatrice and Virgil: Yann Martel's new book was a birthday present, and sits ready for me to dive into. I'm considering it for a Book Club book this year, but don't want to recommend it without reading it first.


The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Everyone I know has read Stieg Larson's mystery series, so I guess I need to jump on the bus. Mystery is not my favorite, but I hear this one is gripping.


This list won't get me through the whole vacation, but it'll get me started. Then I can count on my friends and family and the local libraries to get me through the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment