Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

June 10, 2011

Switching Gears


Today is the first day of summer vacation, which means switching gears: going from the hectic fast pace of the classroom to the more leisurely days of summer; going from full-time worker to no-time worker; going from teacher to researcher-reader-writer-learner-traveler-relative-mother-wife-friend; and switching gears from sixth grade to eighth grade. Yes, eighth grade. And so my research question for the summer, what I have already begun pondering, is: How can I create a community of engaged, supportive, enthusiastic 13-year-old learners instead of having a group of apathetic, negative, eye-rolling, bored young adolescents?

I do not believe that 13 is an age predestined for unpleasantness. Therefore, my search begins with community-building. I have begun reading a book I have had on my shelf for several years now, but had yet to read: "It's Our World Too": Socially Responsive Learners in Middle School Language Arts by Beverly Busching & Betty Ann Slesigner. They advocate setting up a "democratic classroom" in which students will value and respect themselves and others, become active in their learning and in aspects of running the classroom, and in which they connect themselves, literature, and the world to become more socially responsive. The latter goal sounds much like Friere's critical literacy theory, popular in Australia. The previous goals sound very much like the Workshop approach.

I have only read two chapters so far. But I am excited by the possibility that this approach opens: empowering students to make real decisions that affect their daily lives. This sounds like just the ticket for engaging the 13-year-old mind.

2 comments:

  1. Have this book on my shelf too and haven't ever opened it!! :-)

    I started teaching 8th grade 4 years ago. Taught seventh in Ecuador, 6th in Kenya, and HS in Michigan. 8th was the only one I was missing. Now I can say that it is absolutely my favorite.

    I think you are right to start by creating an atmosphere that is respectful, empowering and stimulating. Students must see the value in what you're teaching or you'll lose them just that fast. I find that they are most attentive when I can show them the relevance of what we are studying. I am lucky to have a curriculum that engenders this spirit.

    If you'd like to have a chat sometime--someone's brain to pick about 8th graders--give me a call. Where are you spending your summer? We are in Texas till Sunday before leaving for Michigan. We'll be there on and off as we bounce our way through the States before returning to Delhi at the end of July. My mobile for the duration is 734 389 4150. Would love to hear from you!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess there is no rest for the wicked! Glad to hear you are enjoying the book. I know that you are going to be a fantastic 8th grade teacher!
    Enjoy the summer,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete