Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

July 17, 2012

What I learned about eighth graders- Part III: Stay Flexible

Moving from sixth grade to eighth grade this year was a leap, not just in curricular expectations or unit topics, but also in dealing with personalities. Three students in particular challenged me and made me continuously question how and why I was teaching the way I was. Because of their challenges, I grew as a teacher. This is the third student.

J- was a hyper-focused high achiever. Not really a perfectionist because she missed some homework and was not a good editor of her own work. But she loved to show how much she knew about something, or if she didn’t know it, she would dig until she knew every particle. Her modus operandi was to write down everything that was in her head, with arrows and asterisks and tiny writing between lines, hoping to impress with quantity. The grade was important to her, and if some mark was unclear, she would argue and explain and demand explanations without listening to reasoning. It was aggressive and belligerent at times. I tried to show her how to focus her answers, taught lessons on concise and precise writing, and marked “not relevant” on test answers. But still, she kept on filling the page for a one- to two-sentence response expectation. She also loved to take assignments in her own direction, choosing a topic not on the list, or answering in the role of the devil’s advocate. Her non-conformity made me angry and challenged. That is, until I was showing her note-taking on the final exam to the librarian, ranting about the quantity and lack of neatness and obsessiveness of it, and he said, “I can understand everything on this page. It’s in proper note form, and organized by topic.” He was right. J- taught me that bright, confident kids need to do things their own way to be challenged and interested. If their way is not my way, that doesn’t make it wrong, just different. I have to keep the objectives in mind and see the work as valuable without personal judgment

.

No comments:

Post a Comment