Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

December 20, 2012

My Classroom Library Displayed

I've done some work with my classroom library this semester. If you recall, on July 31, I posted about being confused about what an eighth grade classroom library should look like, since there weren't any models out there for me to view. I'm not sure I've gotten it right, but here's how I dealt with my Middle School classroom library this year:












Comfortable seating: Kids are never too old to sit on the floor, beanbag, or big old stuffed chair to read or work. Here is the main reading corner in my room, near the library bookshelves and two windows for good natural light. I have another set of red cushions on the other side of the room, and a couple of beanbags in the far corner. This spreads everyone out during independent work time.











Books grouped by genre: I have books grouped by genre and alphabetized by author on the low white shelf: paranormal, fantasy, science fiction, thriller/suspense, mystery, realistic fiction, historical fiction, classics, short stories, biography/autobiography, nonfiction. Poetry books are in the blue bin on the bottom shelf of the tall white bookshelf. My labeling is written on a small yellow sticky note stuck to the shelf in front of the group. Not sophisticated, but so far, it's worked out. In my previous post, I was pondering: To use plastic baskets or NOT to use plastic baskets. I decided that labels worked just as well, and I like the look of the books on the shelf better.

Displays: Books need to be seen to catch readers' attention. Once a month or so, I group some books together for special attention. This narrow bookshelf is holding the Paranormal collection, which I put out in October (naturally). Above the shelf is a list of all the books that go into that collection. In the pictures above, there are books displayed on top of the low white bookshelf; in this picture, they are autobiographies of people from cultures around the world. Also seen in the pictures above, there is a display of Hot New Books (the hot pink sign) on the large white bookshelf. These are books I've recently purchased, and I want to show them off before I tuck them into the shelf. My last display area is at the front of the room on some narrow shelves above the sink (why?), where I display nonfiction books. The lists of previously-displayed collections are taped to the window, in case students want to find a book they remembered seeing but don't know where to look.

In July, I talked about building the classroom library collection. I started with about six books in August, 2011, and I now have about 200. It's certainly not enough yet, and I've ordered more for next year. I also ordered more shelving to accommodate the new books and then I can move the big ugly white shelf to the back of the room to store textbooks and teaching resources.

Another goal is to become more familiar with the books that I have. My Shelfari shelf is filled with books I've read from my own classroom library, but there are lots to go. I know this project is a work in progress, and I'm feeling much better now than I was six months ago! Suggestions and feedback are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment