Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

June 17, 2013

Summer Learning

I am a lifelong learner. Some of my friends say that I don't know how to relax. Both of these things are true. I start my summer "vacation" with a list of projects to work on during the long, slow weeks. Here's what I've got on my list for this summer:

Harnessing the Common Core Standards to Achieve Higher Levels of Reading and Writing: This is a 6-hour online book study course run by Mary Ehrenworth of Columbia College's Teacher's College Reading and Writing Project. It focuses on the book she co-authored with Lucy Calkins and Christopher Lehman, Pathways to the Common Core. Our school isn't using the CCSS yet, but I see it coming down the line. As a Reading and Writing Workshop teacher using the TCRWP units of study, I would like to be pro-active in understanding the adjustments needed to integrate workshop teaching and the CCSS.


Understanding Real Spelling: A couple of years ago, the elementary school launched the Real Spelling method of word study. Pete Bowers, the developer of this method, came to our school to do some professional development with the ES teachers. He did a short workshop with the MS teachers as well, and we got very excited about the idea of morphological study of words to develop vocabulary with students. We ordered the Real Spelling Toolbox so that we could use it with our students. The Toolbox kits arrived, one set per grade level, but we were so involved with our technology integration initiative that we didn't have mental space to jump into such a complex idea. I brought the CDs with me this summer so that I can play with them, understand how they work a little better, and see if I can pilot it next year. We have a major one-to-one technology initiative on our plates next year as well, but I don't want to put off word study any longer. We have a gap in our instruction, which I am worried about.

Writing: I have an idea for a short fiction story based on a headline I saw on Yahoo News: "Strange Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'". Doesn't that sound intriguing? So I need to write this, and I have a due date: July 11. This is the time I will be visiting with my writing friend, and we agreed to swap short fiction stories. I also have another idea based on a blog I recently read "Six Words You Should Say Today", which are "I love to watch you play." I don't know where either of these ideas will take me, but I'd better get started if I'm going to make my due date.

Reading: I just got a slew of new Young Adult novels for my classroom library. I want to get a jump on reading some of the titles before I return in August. I went to the library today and found a couple to get me started.

Fitness: Always. This year: walks and yoga and 20 minute blasters. Sigh.

Yes, I know. Ambitious. I always start out great, and lose a little momentum as the summer goes on, especially as we travel to relatives' houses and get busy with other things. But I am excited about these projects. They keep me mentally engaged, excited about teaching, and fill my time with something constructive (besides eating). 

What are your summer project ideas? How does professional development fit into your summer plans?


No comments:

Post a Comment