Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

July 22, 2013

Summer Reading: Variety is the Spice of Life

Summer is a time for reading. I have found myself reading a variety of  genres again. Here's what I've got on my shelf (by the way, I'm typing this on my new iPad, so I'm feeling a bit awkward with this new device):

Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins, Mary Ehrenworth, and Christopher Lehman- This professional book was a companion to the Heinemann course I just finished: Harnessing the Common Core State Standards to Reach Higher Levels of Reading and Writing. It is very closely tied to the work done by the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project of Columbia University, and has practical suggestions for implementing the CCSS. I found it useful and a quick read.

Adult reading: The Round House by Louise Erdrich. This is a crime mystery which deals with a range of interesting issues, not just solving the crime. Set on a Native American reservation and told through the eyes of an adolescent boy, it explores issues of Indian-white race relations, mother-son relationships, and traditional vs. modern cultural beliefs.

Adult reading: The Twelve Tribes Of Hattie by Ayana Mathis. Each chapter in this story follows a different child/ren of Hattie's, and each chapter moves a little further through history, beginning in 1927 and finishing in 1980. This book would appeal to readers who enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees and The Help. I would consider recommending it to high schoolers, but some of the content is a little too mature for middle schoolers.

Adult reading: Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk.  Written in broken English for all 256 pages, this was a slog through violent, sex-crazed, drug-dealing plot events involving middle school aged kids. One review likened it to South Park, not one of my favorite satire shows either. If you want to read this author, try Invisible Monsters or Rant.

Young adult fiction: Enclave and Outpost by Anne Aguirre. These first two of the series follow Deuce and Fade as they struggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. The final book of the series, Horde, hasn't come out yet, although there is a related short story/ novella called Endurance that follows two of their friends, Stone and Thimble. This has enough violence and romance to appeal to both boys and girls, as well as to fans of dystopian books such as The Hunger Games.

YA fiction: Zel by Donna Jo Napoli. Another fractured fairy tale, this one follows Rapunzel. Set in 16th century Switzerland, Napoli weaves together Medieval culture, the Swiss alps, and magic into an engaging story of obsessive love.

YA Fiction:  Petey by Ben Michaelson. This was a heart-breaking story of a disabled man who found love and friendship despite horrific living conditions and no learning opportunities.

More YA fiction: Bucking the Sarge by Christopher Paul Curtis. Not his best, but enjoyable.
The Kill Order by James Dashner. The prequel to Maze Runner... Not good. Do I want to read Maze Runner now? so many kids have commended it!
Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. She is a great storyteller, and this was another good one, though not as deep or researched as Speak or Chains.
Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist byRachel Cohn and David Levithan. Too much... of everything. Really over the top. I can see how it appeals, in a Ferris Beuler's Day Off kind of way, but I wouldn't recommend it for middle school readers.

I just ordered a new professional book today, So What Do They Really Know? Assessment that Informs Teaching and Learning by Cris Tovani through Stenhouse.

And I also bought two companion books by Smokey Daniels and Nancy Steineke: Texts and Lessons for Teaching Literature and Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading.

These three professional books should help with my daily lessons, while the young adult novels will help me have conversations and make recommendations to students. The adult novels keep me satisfied as a lifelong reader. And the course and book on the CCSS keeps me current with recent educational trends so I can respond proactively to any changes that may come my way.

Summer gives me time to explore all these important reading niches in my life. The time to catch up on reading and writing is invaluable. It's summer vacation, yes, but it's also a time to read and reflect. What have you been reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment