Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

May 17, 2014

Checking In On My Classroom Library Goal

I read 54 young adult books this school year (so far-- still 5 school weeks to go!), almost all of them from my classroom library. I expanded my classroom library by about 120 books this year, and made a professional goal to do a better job using the library as a teaching tool to encourage independent home reading. Reading is my passion, and I enjoyed reading almost all of the YA books, so I certainly don't view the task as a chore. Sometimes I read so fast, or the plot is so ordinary, that I forget I've read it. That's why I keep track on my Shelfari shelf. That's also how I know I've read 54 books this school year (so far). 

I like making my reading life visible to the kids. Some kids regularly look at my Shelfari and get suggestions from it. I also periodically put up a bulletin board called "Ms. Pohl's 5-Star Favorites" with book covers of those books, and then I display those same books on the tops of the bookshelves. I prop the books I recently read on a shelf by my desk before I re-shelve them. 

But the best part of this project is when I see a student browsing the shelf, and I ask, "Do you need a suggestion?" When the answer is yes, I love to ask, "What kind of book do you like?" or "What did you read recently that you really liked?" so that I can follow up with "Then you might like this one [as I pluck the book off the shelf] or this one [pluck]. I liked this one because..." And when I'm really on my game, I might say, "I thought of you when I was reading this because I know you enjoyed reading..." 

I'm getting better at the "If you liked this one, you might like that one" game. What I still need to work on is the "If you felt comfortable reading this one, you should try that one because it's slightly more challenging". This is more difficult, the push into greater text complexity. I am still reading the YA books with the lenses of 1) Is this a good story? and 2) Who would like this? I need to add a third lens: What is the work that kids would need to do in this book? What makes this book easy or complex?


If I have some lead time, I can come back with a suggestion that includes increasing text complexity. That's why I like having kids use Shelfari as their reading log. I can look at their shelf, consult the complexity guides (either Scholastic Book Wizard or the Lexile site), return to my inventory, and suggest a book that is similar to what they are reading AND is somewhat more complex. When it's on the fly, I'm less confident I will pick a book that will be at the appropriate level.


My goal of building book ladders and using the library as a teaching tool has made progress. I'm happy about getting familiar with the books in the library and having some tools set up to help me make better suggestions. With practice, I will be able to nudge more kids into harder books. For now, though, I'm ready to pick up #55!

p.s. I also read 18 adult books this year. Not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment