Welcome to Pohl Vault, a collection of reflections on being a middle school language arts & social studies teacher.

January 24, 2015

"Best" Young Adult novels?

Have you seen Time Magazine's list of 100 Best Young Adult novels of all time? I looked over the list this morning. And then, because reading YA fiction is a passion of mine, I read it again, keeping score: I've read 70 of the 100 on the list. That's pretty good I think. 

I wondered why some books were on the list, and why other books weren't. It seemed like "young adult" had a pretty wide age range, from Charlotte's Web (a typical third grade novel) to Little Women, which I seriously doubt was written with young adults in mind. There were a lot of classics, and books that I read as a kid that haven't aged very well. For example, although I love the word play in The Phantom Tollbooth, I've tried to use that book with fifth graders who look at me askance when Milo receives a toy car as a gift (too babyish) and then later with confusion as he journeys through the Tollbooth into the bizarre and random world on the other side. The Wind in the Willows falls into this category too, I think-- the language is too advanced for the target audience.

Another title I have a hard time with is Harry Potter. OK, granted, it's a good story and it was a fresh idea when it came out. But J. K. needed some serious editing help as the books went on to make them tighter and less rambly. Is part of the criteria for inclusion on the "Best" list that it made an impact on young readers? If so, I'll give it the thumbs up; but if it's about "best" as in "good writing", I'd give it a thumbs down. Same for Twilight-- seriously? The writing is repetitive and boring! But it did influence the YA world to open up to paranormal fantasy.

Here are three books I would have liked to see on that list:
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. This book tells a three-layered tale: Sal's cross-country car journey with her grandparents to visit her missing mother (present), Sal's adventures with her next-door neighbor as they try to solve a mystery (recent past), and Sal's life with her mother leading up to her disappearance (further past). The complexity of the plot, which weaves seamlessly together, the fun word-play, scenes that are laugh-out-loud funny and tissue-soaking sad, and lovable characters all combine to make this my #1 favorite young adult novel.


 
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Six-year-old Ender is sent to Flight
School to learn how to be a soldier and fight the "Buggers" to save the planet. Several issues get attention within this novel: standing up to bullies, empathy for others who are different, working to find your personal best, powerful people manipulate and use the powerless, teamwork and friendship, the value of family.
 

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This may fall into the "not written with young adults in mind" category, but it is certainly appropriate for the older end of the audience. Two rival magicians pit their innocent young apprentices in a competition against each other with surprising and delightful results. I loved the fresh new ideas within this novel, which was told in a "can't put it down" compelling style.


What are your favorite young adult novels? Did they show up on Time's list? If not, which ones would you have recommended?

2 comments:

  1. We're fans of The Phantom Tollbooth here, but I think someone's class read it in 4th grade. I'm sending your suggestions to my guys. Too much Orson Scott Card around here these days. A1 is reading a Terry Pratchett right now, A2 is into Eragon/Inheritance (again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've sure got me beat! I made it past the halfway mark, but not as high as 70! Like you, I was surprised by several of the books on Time's list, including Twilight and The Lightning Thief. Despite their popularity, they are very formulaic in their writing. And while, I agree with you about the rushed editing of Rowling's later books, Harry Potter still makes my top 10 for story-telling and innovation.

    I was equally delighted with some of the more obscure choices: The Wall by Peter Sis is fantastic, and Feed by MT Anderson has nearly caused fistfights in my department, though I think it's amazing. I just read A Northern Light a few months ago, and think it's terrific, though a bit of a hard sell to kids. Nice to see books like Wonder and Private Peaceful make the list with their more sensitive male characters - they sure are a long way from Percy Jackson. Nice to see a Chris Crutcher novel up there as well as Laurie Halse Anderson. I realize Speak was a breakthrough novel, but I think Wintergirls has better writing.

    Walk Two Moons and Ender's Game should both certainly have made the list, thought Ender's Game is not technically a YA novel. I'll look for Night Circus. I really liked Absolutely True Diary, but would you have put it first?

    Thanks for the procrastination excuse!

    ReplyDelete